Representation for Families Who Have Suffered a Birth Injury Incident
Too often tragedy converts what should have been the most joyous day of parents’ lives—the birth of a newborn—into a life-altering change for parents and children. Medical malpractice by hospitals, doctors, nurses, and other health-care providers can mean that your child will never hear your voice, see your face, or feel your hand. A birth injury can mean that a child never marries, never holds a full-time job, and never leads a normal life.
When medical negligence changes everything, you need the help of an experienced Scottsdale birth injury attorney who aggressively fights to hold negligent providers and others responsible for the harm they cause. At the Arizona injury firm of Amar Esq. PLLC, our legal team understands the complexities of birth injury and medical malpractice cases. We work with respected physicians to understand what mistakes were made and to learn your child’s diagnosis and prognosis. Our firm fights to understand the full range of your child’s medical needs and expenses, the child’s physical pain, and the long-term emotional suffering your son or daughter will endure.
Birth Injuries Arising From Medical Malpractice
Medical negligence is the failure to perform surgeries, treatments, and consultations in accordance with current medical standards. Obstetricians, OBGYNs, hospital, and other medical providers who fail this medical standard can cause the following injuries and conditions:
Brain Damage in Birth Injury Cases
- Cerebral Palsy – This disability is damage to the brain which can be caused by negligence during the delivery process. It typically affects the child’s muscles and his or her ability to use them. Children with cerebral palsy require long-term medical help.
- Hypoxic Ischemic Encephalopathy (“HIE”) – This condition occurs when the child’s brain does not get enough oxygen or blood. Ischemia (lack of blood flow to organs) can make this disorder worse. Doctors should be on the lookout for the events and conditions that can cause HIE during the delivery process, including before and after the delivery. Children with HIE can suffer long-term developmental difficulties.
- Ischemic Brain Damage Due to Trauma – Decreased flow to the brain can be due to a lack of oxygen or the use of improper or excessive force.
- Pitocin Caused Ischemic Brain Damage Due to Pitocin Administration – Pitocin and other drugs can cause contraction problems which result in the fetus’s brain failing to get enough oxygen. The drugs must be administered properly.
- Kernicterus – Babies who have too much bilirubin in their body after the delivery may suffer brain damage. Birth doctors should look for signs of jaundice and other conditions which indicate excessive bilirubin – which needs to be treated.
Brachial Palsy Injuries
- These injuries occur when the nerve bundles that move a child’s arm and hands are affected. Erb’s palsy and Klumpke’s palsy are two common brachial injuries – often caused when the newborn’s shoulders are stuck in the pelvic bone of the mother. Pulling too hard can cause extensive damage.
Failure to Treat Preeclampsia
- Mothers can develop this pregnancy disorder if they have too much protein, or their blood pressure is too high. Mothers should be checked for pre-eclampsia before and after the birth of a child. Failure to treat pre-eclampsia can cause seizures and other problems, which can affect both the mother and child.
- If the newborn and mother are not properly and timely monitored, the baby and mother can both suffer severe physical problems or even death.
- Infections are a known risk in all surgeries. Failure to monitor and treat infections can cause severe birth injuries such as brain damage, sepsis, meningitis, and death to both the child and the mother. Doctors should know when to administer antibiotics.
Caesarian (C-section) Complications
- While sometimes necessary, an improperly performed C-Section can have traumatic consequences for both the mother and child if not executed correctly.
Different Types of Negligence in Birth Injury Cases
Birth injury medical negligence can include:
- Improper Use of Forceps – Birth doctors often use forceps to guide the baby into the world. The use of excessive force, or improperly positioning the forceps, can cause facial nerve palsy, skull fracture, and other complications
- Improper Use of Vacuum Extractors – Doctors who fail to use this medical tool properly can cause the skull to fracture of a malformation of the brain.
- Negligence After Surgery – The newborn and mother should both be monitored for infections, breathing difficulties, and other medical conditions before they are released.
Other Birth Injuries Arising From Medical Negligence:
- Failure to monitor and treat adverse conditions and risks before the pregnancy occurs
- Errors during surgery including failing to respond properly to know risks
- Failure to diagnose the risk of a severe medical condition
Contact a Phoenix Birth Injury Lawyer to Discuss Your Matter
At the Scottsdale law office of Amar Esq. PLLC, we understand how devastating a birth injury can be. We guide families through this most difficult time by explaining their legal rights and working with medical professionals to get the best care possible for the child. We help children get the medical care they need, including the compensation for their lifetime of adjustments and emotional pain. We do this by bringing claims against hospitals and medical providers who committed the medical malpractice. To talk with a caring Scottsdale birth injury attorney, please call 480.802.8232 or fill out our online contact form below.
Speak With a Scottsdale Birth Injury Attorney Today
Contact us at 480.802.8232 or fill out the form below.
We are a birth injury law firm in Phoenix, Arizona. At Amar Esq. PLLC, we focus on providing effective trial lawyer and litigation abilities to ensure your voice is heard. Whether your matter settles or ends up at trial in front of a jury, we strive to regain the quality and enjoyment of life you deserve. Our law office office is located in Scottsdale.